SVRA Licenses & Renewals

Why get licensed by SVRA? We offer some of the greatest benefits to our license-holders than any other organization.

Benefits include:

  • Acceptance by all Vintage Racing Organizations
  • Discounted event prices
  • Priority registration to events and invitationals
  • Available Subscription to SpeedTour Quarterly magazine
  • Classified listings in our race car marketplace in SpeedTour Quarterly and
  • Multi-year licenses options
  • and much more

With all of these benefits, the SVRA license pays for itself after two events! If you would like to be part of the fastest-growing vintage racing organization, join today.

License Renewals

Current SVRA Competition License holders can renew their SVRA license online, or by mail/fax by clicking on the forms below.

Licensed drivers age 85 years or older will not automatically be renewed. A Medical Form will be required and a conversation review and approvalĀ  process must be conducted personally with Tony Parella, before continuing to race.

For any assistance with license renewals, contact

New Licenses

If you are interested in racing with the SVRA in its Vintage and Historic Events, here are some important facts that will help you navigate through the process.

Quick Links:

The SVRA is an association for current competition licensed drivers, drivers that have been licensed previously and graduates of recognized and accredited Road Racing Schools or schools conducted by organizations such as the SCCA.

Please note that an SVRA Super License is required for certain levels and classes of race cars and all Drivers must by a minimum of 18 years old.

VMC Licensed drivers

  • Must possess a current and valid VMC Competition License
  • Must submit proof of having completed two vintage VMC races in the last two years (race results will be accepted as proof) otherwise an SVRA Driver Orientation Program (DOP) session is required.

Non-VMC Licensed drivers

  • Must possess a current and valid racing license i.e. FIA, SCCA, IMSA, NASA or club licenses from BMW, PCA or POC.
  • Must complete the SVRA Driver Orientation Program (DOP) unless you submit proof of having completed two vintage VMC races in the last two years (race results will be accepted as proof).


Must complete an Accredited SVRA License School:

No further Driver Orientation required with these 2 programs (license issuing schools).


Pro Driving Schools such as Skip Barber Racing School, Kaizen Autosport, Radford Racing School (Formally the Bob Bondurant School), Bertil Roos, Etc. after full race 3 day courses. These will still require an SVRA Vintage Driver Orientation day of instruction at your first race with SVRA. A race under observation on that weekend is required.


Club Racing School programs are also accepted (i.e. SCCA, NASA, PCA, BMW, etc.) and licensing in this manner also requires participation in a Driver Orientation day class for Vintage racing training at your first event or on the test day plus a race under observation.

  • Must complete the SVRA Driver Orientation Program (DOP). Not available at all SVRA events.
  • Must complete all SVRA New Competition License Application paperwork including Medical Form and New Competition License Application at least two (2) weeks prior to your first race weekend.
  • Will be considered an SVRA Rookie until two race weekends have been completed without incident.

The SVRA does conduct a Driver Orientation Program for competition licensed drivers that have not competed in Vintage events and for racing school graduates whose goal is Vintage licensing. This program is designed to educate the driver in the Vintage ethic of road racing- a wonderful mixture of skill and good manners. The goal is Safe, Fair and Fun racing. A Track Orientation Program is also available to drivers that have not driven at a particular venue.

The New Competition License Application includes instructions and required documents that must be provided to SVRA to process your Application and the associated expenses.


An SVRA Super License is required to compete in race cars that SVRA considers ultra high performance. Race cars within this category include, but are not limited to: GTP, Group C, WSC, Daytona Prototype, Can Am, F1, F3000, F5000, Indy, Indy Lights, IMSA GTS and GTO, Applicants must have been previously licensed with an organization recognized by SVRA and have a minimum of 3 years of racing experience in cars of similar performance level as those in the Super License category. Verification of such licensing, types of race cars driven, as well as race results must be submitted to the SVRA Competition Director, along with the New License Application.

The race cars that require a Super License are the fastest in Vintage Racing. Serious examination of the applicant’s racing history, types of cars driven, incident and safety record will take place. Grand-fathering of individual drivers based on their Vintage experience in this category is at the discretion of the National License Director. If a new applicant is accepted for a Super License, that driver may be required to carry the SVRA “Rookie” stripe on that driver’s car for up to three (3) races.

The decision to issue an SVRA Super License is at the sole discretion of the National License Director. The decision is final and not subject to appeal.


For any assistance with new licenses, contact